1.1 Communication over IP
- Oct, 2015. Next step is communication over IP. Until V26 the communication to HMI is done serial. An example of this is present in version V26. Now a version for the FSM is developed with communication over IP. With communication over IP it is possible to monitor and control over the internet. Communication is based on telnet. At the moment there is a beta version available. The beta version is made by 2 MEGA2560 boards. One of the boards is equipped with a Wifi shield CC3000. The Wifi shield communicates with an internet client. Communication between the MEGA2560 boards is based on serial communication over TX2/TX2. For communication with the FSM the same messages as described in chapter 10 are used. The version is working, but not stable enough. The main problem at the moment is the fact of corrupted messages and the spontaneous reboot of the Wifi shield. Maybe Telnet is not the correct way of communication and UDP could be better. Also the communication between the boards is not reliable at the moment. There is no software yet for correcting or resending corrupted messages. Until everything is stable, communication via internet can be done by e.g. Teamviewer; take over the desktop of the VBA client.
1.2 Using SoftwareSerial and jitter of the servo’s
- Jan, 2016. I've experienced trouble with the servo's when communicating with HMI. I used the SoftwareSerial library because the normal communication via RX/TX1..3 was not working with Bluetooth HC-05. Servo's could not be used anymore, caused by jitter in this combination. Solution: When putting an extra line of code before begin.serial1; PinMode(19,INPUT_PULLUP), the HC-05 Bluetooth communication is working with the hardware serial library en the jitter is eliminated. In fact; the communication between the board and HMI is working much better now! I've found this solution on the forum; thanks. Not using SoftwareSerial anymore.
1.3 Upgrade to Visual studio 2013
- March, 2016. Installed Visual Studio 2013, upgrading from Visual Studio 2010. Experienced difficulties with shapes. Shapes are no longer supported by default by Visual studio 2013. A special powerpack has to be installed. It is possible to download the powerpack from the Microsoft site. After downloading you have to make e new tab in the toolbox and select the controls you need for your purposes. See also internet for more information.
1.4 Data acquisition
- March, 2016. Making the first basics for data acquisition. Data acquisitionwill be developed in Visual Studio 2013. Filling database tables en graphs for presenting data.
1.5 Visual studio 2013 with Arduino IDE plug-in
- March, 2016. Searching over the internet, I noticed that there is an Arduino IDE plug-inavailable for Visual studio 2013. Installing the plug-in is simple and easy. Just like the original IDE, no problems during installing and testing old sketches. It surprised me a bit that all used libraries where working directly whiteout loading these software libraries separately. Now I have the VB solution and the Arduino sketch open at the same time in the same environment (called a "solution" in visual studio). It seems that there is also debug functionality available for the sketches. Not used yet, but must be explored! One remark, sketches " save as" , is not working as the original IDE (maybe lack of knowledge).
1.6 Implementing Markers
- April 2016. Markers implemented. It is possible to set/read markers.
1.7 Visual studio 2015 installed.
- November 2016. Installed Visual studio 2015. Also installed the Arduino IDE and Xamarin. Everything installed without any problem. The VB applications where detected as old (VS 2013) and where updated automatic. The Xamarin extension will be used for the development of Android applications (only possible when the whether will be nasty the coming period...).
1.8 Communication between boards
- April 2017. In some cases it could be necassery to make some communication between two or more boards. I'm now busy making the communication based on the already developed messages made for the communication between a board and HMI. One board will be the master board and the orthers act as slaves. Communication is made by TX3/RX3. Possible application could be traffic lights for temperary blocking one side of the road.
Communication by an APC220 set (max 1000m sight)
1.9 Communication over IP (2)
- Aug, 2017. I've made a second version of the VBA programm with the possability to communicate over IP. The used module is an ESP8266 wifi shield (ESP-07/01) connected via harware serial of the board. The sketch is not changed for this purpose. Infact the communication to/from the board is serial. I've made a communication program in the ESP8266 to send/receive the already existing structure for data like a bleutooth module or e.g. the APC220 radio connection. A failure in the communication is detected by both the ESP8266 or/and the VBA programm and the connection is establised again. The next step in development is mixing the two VBA programs (serial connection and IP) to -again- one version. The choice of connection could be made by parameters in the program shortcut (just like baudrate, com port and monitor settings).
 IP, Internet Protocol